Robert Triggs / Android Authority
We cowl a great deal of gadgets right here at Android Authority, starting from price range wares to cutting-edge flagship gadgets and foldable telephones. However utilizing a telephone day by day as your major gadget or each day driver? Now, that’s one other matter completely for us.
We ballot the staff yearly to seek out out in regards to the each day drivers we use, beginning in 2018 and stretching via to 2021. Over a yr has handed since our final ballot, so we figured that we’d survey the staff as soon as once more for the 2022 version of our Android Authority each day driver article.
21 Workforce AA members from all throughout the globe contributed to those outcomes, noting their each day driver, likes/dislikes, and giving a rating out of 10. So which telephones will we use on the staff? Let’s get on with the outcomes!
We’ve posted outcomes by each particular person telephone mannequin and by model. Take a look at the charts beneath for a glance, however we’ll do a deep dive afterwards.
Samsung, Samsung in every single place
Eric Zeman / Android Authority
Is it any shock to see Samsung is the preferred model utilized by Android Authority staff members? The Korean producer accounted for a 3rd of all telephones utilized by the staff. Apparently, this doesn’t symbolize a change in comparison with final yr’s ballot, which additionally noticed Samsung accounting for a 3rd of all telephones. In any other case, the Galaxy S22 Extremely was the one Samsung telephone to look greater than as soon as (with two individuals utilizing it).
It is no shock to see Samsung is the preferred model amongst Workforce AA, reflecting the worldwide market as properly.
Samsung house owners on this survey usually praised their telephone’s processing energy, cameras, battery life, and/or show. There have been just a few complaints too, reminiscent of efficiency and battery life. However the standout complaints got here from Producer Ryan McLeod and Copy Editor Paula Beaton, who had stability points with the Galaxy S21 and Galaxy S20 FE respectively.
Paula described frequent freezing, glitches, and the necessity to restart her telephone. In the meantime, Ryan mentioned he skilled “just a few glitches the place I’ve to restart the telephone. Not the top of the world, however not nice when it does freeze up.”
One Pixel to rule all of them
Eric Zeman / Android Authority
What was the second-most common model, although? That will be Google for a second consecutive yr, accounting for 23.81% of all telephones. Apparently sufficient, all these Pixels had been the Pixel 6 Professional. That’s a significant change from final yr, which noticed the Pixel 4a, Pixel 4XL, and Pixel 5 all seem.
Pixel customers on the staff usually praised the digital camera, design, velocity of system updates, and show. Nonetheless, sign points, battery life, and overheating had been three complaints that regularly popped up in our survey. We lined the previous specifically earlier this yr, as Options Editor Rita El-Khoury bemoaned the Pixel 6 Professional’s terrible mobile and Wi-Fi connectivity.
The sign woes had been echoed by Evaluations Editor Ollie Cragg too:
I have to toggle Airplane Mode ~10 occasions a day. It’s getting so dangerous I’m near abandoning a Pixel for the primary time in shut to 5 years. The battery life can be a bit meh and Tensor likes to get toasty.
Are you able to say ‘Apple Authority’?
Dhruv Bhutani / Android Authority
Rounding out the rostrum of hottest manufacturers utilized by Workforce AA was Apple (14.29% of all gadgets). Sure, imagine it or not, three staff members use iPhones as their major gadgets. This represents a rise over final yr’s survey, when two individuals had been utilizing iPhones.
There wasn’t a selected iPhone that was hottest right here, with the iPhone 11 Professional Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 13 Professional all showing. These staff members largely praised Apple’s gadgets for the ecosystem and cameras. In saying so, we noticed complaints concerning battery life, heating, and Siri.
Apple’s rise on this yr’s survey comes on the expense of OnePlus, which noticed a major decline. It’s additionally attention-grabbing to see that each of the OnePlus telephones that made it onto the record this yr had been older gadgets (OnePlus 8T and OnePlus 8).
A number of different picks stand out
David Imel / Android Authority
Spotify prime, maps backside
Other than the manufacturers talked about above, we additionally noticed three different notable manufacturers within the survey. These manufacturers had been LG, Vivo, and Xiaomi. Beginning with LG, Calvin Wankhede remains to be rocking the LG Wing. LG’s gadget has a sq., secondary display screen that pops out from behind the primary display screen, and Calvin says that is precisely what he likes about it:
It swivels and divulges two shows at any time when I want it, all with out the sturdiness considerations of a folding telephone. It additionally doesn’t have a notch, one thing I can’t look previous on newer telephones.
Sadly, Calvin decried the burden (noting that it was solely barely lighter than the Z Fold 4) and 60Hz refresh price.
Our resident search engine marketing specialist Luka Mlinar was the one particular person on the staff to rock a Xiaomi gadget as a each day driver, selecting the Xiaomi 12. He particularly praised the small type issue, “fairly giant” battery, and quick charging capabilities.
It wasn’t all excellent for Luka, although:
MIUI remains to be a blended bag of fantastic options coupled with an limitless pit of frustration.
We will perceive this sense as varied staff members have discovered MIUI to be very hit or miss by way of polish. Each C Scott Brown and I found quite a few annoying bugs in some Poco telephones when reviewing them. Xiaomi launched a working group final yr with a view to deal with the shortage of polish within the pores and skin, however there’s nonetheless some work to do.
Lastly, another gadget that stands out right here is the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. Sure, Senior Author John Callaham is the one one on the staff rocking a foldable as his each day driver. He particularly praised the scale of the foldable display screen however lamented the show crease.
- 5 individuals mentioned they wouldn’t advocate their telephones for buy. Rita and Ollie each mentioned they couldn’t give the nod to the Pixel 6 Professional, doubtless because of the connectivity woes. In the meantime, Andy Walker mentioned he couldn’t advocate the 2019-era Huawei P30 Professional because of the lack of updates and the gadget’s age. Paula says she couldn’t advocate shopping for the Galaxy S20 FE, doubtless because of the variety of glitches she’s suffered from. Lastly, Curtis Joe famous that the OnePlus 8T wasn’t value a glance because of the software program expertise.
- There’s nonetheless just one Huawei gadget on the record, in keeping with final yr. However this time, as a substitute of my Mate 20 Professional being the only real Huawei handset, it’s Andy’s Huawei P30 Professional. I’m not relying on any Huawei gadgets showing in our 2023 survey.
- All gadgets that appeared on the record characteristic OLED screens. It looks as if LCD screens are behind us for now, as even ~$250 telephones like Samsung’s cheaper A-series and a few Xiaomi gadgets are geared up with OLED panels.
- Sadly, it’s the top of an period as not one of the telephones right here supply a 3.5mm port. It is a first for our survey.
- Alternatively, 13 gadgets on the record assist UWB wi-fi connectivity. These had been all Samsung, Google, and Apple handsets.
- The oldest telephone on the record is certainly the Huawei P30 Professional, launched in Might 2019. It’s nonetheless on Android 10 and was the final main Huawei flagship with Google Cell Providers.
- The common battery measurement is 4,452mAh, making for an enormous step up over final yr’s sub-4,000mAh common.
- 4 out of the 21 telephones on the record lack a excessive refresh price display screen. These gadgets are the Huawei P30 Professional, iPhone 12, iPhone 11 Professional Max, and LG Wing.
- US and Korean producers accounted for ~71% of the telephones on the record, with the remaining made by Chinese language manufacturers.
Our staff is a wide range of rumored or confirmed telephones for his or her subsequent improve, nevertheless it’s a tie for the preferred model. Seven staff members mentioned they’d improve to a Samsung gadget, particularly pointing to a foldable or the Galaxy S23 sequence.
In the meantime, seven colleagues mentioned they’re contemplating a Pixel gadget. 5 colleagues mentioned they’re wanting on the Pixel 7 Professional, one mentioned they’re both the Pixel 7 or Pixel 7 Professional, and one colleague is contemplating the rumored Pixel foldable.
A complete of 14 members are eyeing both a Samsung or Google gadget as their subsequent telephone.
There have been additionally just a few outlier picks on this regard. Government Editor Kris Carlon has been utilizing the Huawei Mate XS 2 for just a few weeks, and he says he’d change to it as a each day driver if it had Google assist. Oppo additionally previewed the X 2021 rollable telephone final yr, and John Callaham is hoping this gadget will get a industrial launch.
Foldable telephones additionally accounted for seven gadgets on this class, up from two in final yr’s survey. This implies that foldables actually have labored out most of their kinks and have gotten enticing propositions for extra individuals.
Two staff members mentioned they weren’t seeking to improve, and who can blame them? Persons are holding on to telephones for longer and longer, and our writers are not any exception.